Chicken Pasta Salad with Creamy Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1/2 cup fat-free, sugar-free vanilla yogurt
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 ounces dried whole-grain penne
- 12 ounces cooked skinless chicken breast, cooked without salt, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3 ounces spinach, cut into long, thin pieces or torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, halved and slivered
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, dry-roasted
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free milk (optional)
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Set aside.
2. Prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt. Drain in a colander. Rinse with cold water until cool. Drain well.
3. In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, pasta, spinach, bell pepper, and onion.
4. Pour the dressing over the salad, tossing to coat (using two large spoons works well). Sprinkle with the almonds or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours, sprinkling with the almonds just before serving. If the salad seems dry after refrigeration, toss with the milk at serving time to add moisture.
Cook's Tip - For a hearty side salad, omit the chicken and add some shredded carrots, chopped cucumber, or other vegetables.
Nutrition Information: Calories: 358.Total Fat: 7.5 g. Saturated Fat: 1.5 g. Monounsaturated Fat: 3.5 g. Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g. Trans Fat: 0 g. Cholesterol: 75 mg. Sodium: 233 mg. Carbohydrate: 37 g. Fiber: 7 g. Sugars: 4 g. Protein: 35 g.
-American Heart Association, Recipes for the Heart